A ways back I posted a cover for Headless on this very blog. I posted a post about making the thing, and a post about how I decided I hated it after the fact. A lot has changed since then. I’ve gone through the book at least half a dozen times since then, and it’s changed in some pretty fundamental ways. Those changes are so dramatic, in fact, that the book title had to change with them. So here’s the new title:
There’s a new cover to go with it, but that’s a secret for the time being. Expect to see it when I announce the release date for the book, which is forthcoming. I’m totally getting there. Way faster than George R. R. Martin. Not that that’s a very high bar.
The other thing you might notice is that this particular title isn’t written in brain letters. Turns out I hate those. I was pretty sure I didn’t hate them before, but that was probably a bout of temporary insanity. The new font is called Silk Remington by Jadugar Design Studio. Only I stretched it out a bit vertically because I have to tweak all the things that I encounter.
The latest pass on The Volunteer (subtle transition to the new title!) is complete as of Tuesday. I’m going to comb through it one last time, just in case, but I’m pretty sure we’re looking at a finished manuscript here. Exciting times! If I had to guess, I’d put the release date in May. Which is less than a year later than I intended, and that counts as a victory.